Saturday, July 30, 2005

Greek is nice!

I love eating, something that is obvious to anyone who knows me and my 36-inch waist. But, I rarely write food reviews, well I have sometimes for the publication I work for. FYood writing is an intricate art, and something that cannot be learnt by eating only at five star hotels all the time (VS) or by just eating all the time (most of the others). The problem with food writers is that they don't usually have well developed taste-buds so a grilled chicken tastes the same to them as a baked chicken, and of course you can't write against the people who put food on the table. That is why I love the writings of AA Gill in the London Times, firrstly he pays for the food himselff (his newspaper does) and he just writes as he sees it. In India on the other hand, journos go out of their way to be obnoxious and expect super pronto service at the cost of paying patrons. Of course, which Indian newspaper will foot a Rs 3k bill when the journalist reviewing the food gets Rs 30k a month (post-DNA), maybe less (in Delhi).
Anyway, I'm writing this to say that I had a really nice meal at this new place called 'Its Greek To Me'. Its at Safdarjung Enclave on the Deer Park road beside the HDFC Bank. Really really good food, and despite it being a little steep at around Rs 600-700 a head (with a drink) the Baked Chicken Valikanos, Chicken Mykanos and Moussaka are really good. Fully reccomended by yours truly. For Snakeman, the lesson is, nothing stimulates your writing more than a great meal and maybe a joint of good Malana Cream.
Bliss... But I wanna sleep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manala cream? Having been a smoker since 1974, I've had Malana cream.... but Manala? You stoned? Or is it just a case of Malapropism? Sorry, Manapropism!

K said...

typo..typo.. typo... editing it now. thanks

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised a lot of people are discovering 'ts Greek just about now. I'd gone there like 6 months back due to a bunch of friends who are exploratory kinds when it comes to pigging out in new places and if you have not tried the steak there, well, you've missed something!

Anonymous said...

and i thought the steak at greek was the only weak mention on its menu