Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Great long weekend

I don't know how to begin, this is the first time in days that I did not update this blog for so long. Damn, my pretty ridiculously high Google PageRank will start to fall. Or is it Pigeon Rank? Anyway, you can check your PageRank using this free online calculator.
So, lets get down what happened this weekend. Friday night - I went down to visit Rodu, a person I am rather fond of, but because he has been working tirelessly on The Rising I haven't seen much of him over the past two years. Anyway, after a long and entertaining conversation, about among other things - The Rising - but more on that later - some more friends came by and we found ourselves inside 'Seijo and the Soul Dish', a very nice new-ish place on Waterfield Road. I had heard about it before, but I really liked the place. A band called 'Soul Shakti' were playing there. I don't know how to describe their music - Fusion Funk (?) might be as close to describing a genre, but they were good and that isn't six or seven Kingfisher's talking, they did a great rendition of Santana's Black Magic Woman. Coupled with the nice nice decor (I liked the anime backdrops - but then again I'm a sucker for anime/manga). Anyway, I was told that Seijo is also about the food, so sometime after I acquire some money it might be a good idea to head there. This place is definately back up after its 'unfortunate' partial demolition in February.
On Saturday, after a sufficiently lazy morning, I ventured out to house-hunt later in the day, and saw some (though too few) places. Now Rodu, being a good friend and all had arranged ten tickets for his friends to go watch The Rising (the official website). Now, it is very difficult for me to be complete bitch over here and say the movie sucks, but for a movie riddled with historical (where the hell did Steven's character come from and even today officers and men hardly mingle in the army - but anyway some things can be fictionalised) and geographical inaccuracies (Bengal portrayed as bone dry?) and where there is no character development (unlike say Lagaan) and the women are hardly there (Amisha Patel ends up as a 'keep' and whatever happens to the white girl?). I know Aamir's speech in the end - 'The People will rule' part is nice and all, but thank god the revolt of 1857 didn't work out. Because, if it did, India wouldn't have worked out. Anyway, the reviews I think have been kind to the movie - and the best actor in the film isn't Aamir, despite Aamir's best efforts I guess he couldn't edit Toby Steven's out, and the white man does a great job. Aamir should stick to drinking the bhaang his charcter had to consume in the movie, because only a stoned person can like this film.
But, a stoned person would really like the Kal Penn starrer - Where's the Party, Yaar? Most of the stereotypical situations might seem corny, but this movie explores the problems facing desi youth in Yankland. Down to stupid put-on Bollywood dance routine. Great movie, and kudo's to Star Movies for showing it. Then, I saw the match, and what a match it was. This time, Australia batted long enough to survive a defeat. Great series this Ashes is turning out to be and it is even knocking the exploits of Chelski and the ManU Buccaneers off the back pages (the last page of all British newspapers is pure sports - no ads - I wish the desi papers could have copied that)
Anyway, thanks for reading this purile crap, cheerio for now!
EDIT : I never thought that a Banking Advert could be so... nice!
But this is a really nice advert for Atletico Madrid, very nice! (Now if only they could play as well as say Barca!)
Sweet - this is a great Nike spot!
In India, we might all rave about how great the Ogilvy spots are for Hutch. But, globally the best advertising spots in telecom are generally for Vodafone. This Czech advert for Vodafone is the best telecom advert I have seen in a long, long time.
Behind the scenes at The Apprentice!
Strange things you likely didn't know, or maybe didn't want to know.
If this movie releases - I wanna watch!

No comments: