Sunday, May 15, 2005

Sunday post...

Went to Fat Ron's reception yesterday night, it was a PR and dealer filled event, and Ron looked smashing (and Fat) and Mrs Fat Ron was well.. looked quite Bongoli. And Ron pointed out that you couldn't complain about the booze - there was Chivas, Bacardi and Smirnoff. Good booze. But god-awfully boring and the rush for the food was maddening, because they opened the food lines at 10.30 at night. Not as bad as when Shaman ( a colleague) got married, where even though we left at 1230 at night the food hadn't started. And that was a shaadi without booze to boot.
Anyway, I was listening to local FM Radio yesterday and despite the rather pleasant discovery that 93.5 Red FM was playing Green Day's American Idiot, which was surprising to say the least. Even though some the other 'Angrezi' songs included crap by Ronan Keating and Boyzone, hearing English was quite a surprise on the non 102.6 airwaves.
Talking about English, I think the people who write the Angrezi lyrics in Hindi songs should be all lined up in the heat have honey daubed on them and then put on top of an anthill. To give you an example, these are the English phrases from the superhit song Dhoom (which also encouraged unsafe motoring) 'Dance with me, Dance with me, This is my philosophy.' Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Big time.
What is really weird of late is that suicide talk is happening all around me. First I read about how suicide becomes a epidemic - Malcolm Gladwell gives the example of American Micronesia in his book Tipping Point which I read on Friday. On Saturday, Friendgirl got depressed and said she wanted to jump in front of a car. And then today, I hear that a friend of a friend just did that because he was depressed.
What is it with depression. True, I've been uphappy several times in my life. Like when Mom and Dad used to fight when I was a kid, when they finally got seperated, when each of my relationships broke up. I've never been depressed over academics results, but thats because I always did decently well (even though my English results in the Xth and XIIth boards were frustrating given that I did fucking well in school otherwise). But, never did I ever want to kill myself. Suicide to me is the ultimate sign of giving up. Life is always worth living, no matter how depressing, because things look up eventually. They always do.
Anyway, I have to go get beer, because Double Daddy is calling people over and I want to drink beer. Despite polishing off a bottle of some Egyptian Cabernet Sauvignon at Single Daddy's place. It was called Omar Khayyam - sweet, very sweet, and a decent aftertaste, but not as good as some Israeli wines I've had. Double Mommy is off to Switzerland tomorrow, I wonder what the Swiss will make of the little Gopal when she is eating Fondue. I still don't get it.

No comments: