Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Short post... I think

I don't if the title is accurate or not, but thats the plan at the outset. Finished my edit meeting and have loads of work for this issue as well. Given that I tend to flow in a series of peaks and anti-peaks and every alternate issue I find myself doing things like attending the 'Bartender of the Year' award ceremony that I have to do on Thursday, not I mind having to go there. Excuse to get drunk on good cocktails. I love well-made cocktails, makes for a pleasant change from the regular stuff that I do. Which is well... I don't know quite exactly I do regularly.
Anyway, I found these print adverts rather hmmm... interesting, but not smutty. Just look at this lovely Playboy advert from Holland.

There were even some ads for Kingfisher Beer, which never made it here given the rather stupid ban on alcohol and tobacco adverts. I don't think the government quite gets that banning the ads makes people drink or smoke less, and we end up with stupid surrogate adverts. Nothing beats Vijay Mallaya's ultimate surrogate advert - an airline. Kingfisher Airlines won't be cheap though, and SpiceJet is cheaper. When I met the CEO of Spicejet, a oldish Canadian gentleman called Mark Winders he told me the secret behind the naming of SpiceJet - it was one of the few decent, snappy, Indian-ish airline names that had a web URL free.
Anyway, last night I had a nice chat with Wertti on suicide. Nice chat. I don't know if too many people remember the American sitcom M*A*S*H about the Korean War that starred Alan Alda. Anyway, the point about that serial over here is that the intro song that was composed by Johnny Mandel and the lyrics by Mike Altman. Here are the lyrics to that song.

Through early morning fog I see

visions of the things to be

the pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see...

that suicide is painless

It brings on many changes

and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make

all our little joys relate

without that ever-present hate

but now I know that it's too late, and...

The game of life is hard to play

I'm gonna lose it anyway

The losing card I'll someday lay

so this is all I have to say.

The only way to win is cheat

And lay it down before I'm beat

and to another give my seat

for that's the only painless feat.

The sword of time will pierce our skins

It doesn't hurt when it begins

But as it works its way on in

The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

A brave man once requested me

to answer questions that are key

is it to be or not to be

and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

'Cause suicide is painless

it brings on many changes

and I can take or leave it if I please.

...and you can do the same thing if you please.

No comments: