Monday, January 11, 2010

Nine years in...

Sorry for not posting for a while, I was inundated (literally) with work, and trying to keep up with my resolve to drink less copiously that took a slight toll on my sanity, though my liver must be grateful. That and the fact that I’m feeling very, very cold. Yes, one can argue that it really isn’t ‘that’ cold in India compared to say anywhere in Europe (or even Florida – Florida for God’s sake) but then again homes in India are designed to be cool – they’re designed to keep the heat out. Considering we have nine months of summer and three of winter in northern India (which equates to three months of less hot/muggy south of the tropic of Cancer) that makes immense sense – it also makes winters bloody cold. Ever tried playing a Xbox 360 wearing gloves – trying moving the analog stick. It ain’t easy. And during all that there was the biennial media festival called the Auto Expo which basically taught me that a mass of photographers and cameramen jostling for position is a riot waiting to happen. And given that everyone with a camera is a ‘Magazine Editor’ and all you need to start a TV channel is technically two video cameras.
Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man, and I’m genuinely sorry that I didn’t post earlier this year. I’ve been debating what to do with the blog, it is a thought that I’ve had for a while. Some senior folks would rather I shut the blog down, for my own good. Though I argue back that the golden decade of the media just ended with a whimper in India and a knowledge – and a practical working knowledge of new media delivery platforms as they evolve is going to hold me in good stead. I’m not for one second arguing that four covers in a year works better, but I’m just saying y’know. Anyway, I have registered a couple of alternative identities for a site (presstalk.in for example) and was wondering what to do with it. Yes, yes, the migrate to Wordpress bit I already know – take more pictures, yada, yada. I’m not like my friend Kutty at MOB and I’m not going to stalk guys who take a pee on the side of the road. But I will try and get a more comprehensive content thing going. But given the fact that crowdsourcing is the latest refuge of the lazy journalist – and despite working hard over the past few months – I cannot escape my Bengali genes for too long. So, please do comment with what you would like to see here. I know there are more than a fair share of people who don't like me for whatever reason (and that list does not include my previous or current editor for the benefit of a comment I just moderated - I love moderation I wonder what would happen if everyone else applied a bit of it sometimes instead of declaring war on Australia)
And, again, hope everyone has a great, great 2010 and I’ll start the year by asking a very simple question – why didn’t Outlook name names in their ‘media sex story’ – heck, the story didn’t even have a frikking byline. Makes you wonder.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hell, you HAD to ask what we wanna see in here! gossip, rumours, and the drama around high-profile movements. and not your penchant for the bottle, what movie u watched, what game u played or if u farted. just media. no shit.

Vikas Bani said...

Blogs are here to stay and I do wish this one continues with your good thoughts. While our justice system and the state of country is definitely in 'Ram hi jaane' situation, we still need lesser mortals to throw light on areas where not all can keep a watching eye. It takes an individual and taking inspiration from you, we'll have a lot of converts. This is an educative blog and education must continue ;)

Anonymous said...

Somehow i feel that whatever you want to convey is never conveyed directly. A reader not familiar with the world of journalism/media finds your articles difficult to digest initially. Kindly make your points more lucid. That would help.

simran said...

while i disagree with 9:59, it's a crap name for a blog though. now a 'heartbreaking work of staggering genius' may not quite work, not just yet - i do see a poll coming on.

Anonymous said...

Screw the mediawallas, who thinks themselves as holier than thou.

And dude, we want you to get us inside stuff, and spend more time on blog rather then ur twitter.

Anonymous said...

Good point reg. the Outlook article. They should have named names. Will somebody in the know please fill in items 1,2,3,4 below?

1. executive editor of a prominent English newsmagazine in the ’90s

2. Another mainstream editor

3. city editor of a leading Mumbai newspaper

4. anchor of a Hindi news channel


Not required to all... just the ones you know :)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

good Q on Outlook, but mebbe u shud have asked the question earlier, when u added the link on facebook, too...