Monday, December 26, 2005

Pretty Tied Up.

Sometimes I get very complacent on the job and I think I know a lot more than I actually do. I am working on something about an industry which I thought I knew fairly well, however I was told (and I had already made up my mind) to go into the job without any preconceptions about this industry. Surprisingly, despite five years of tracking this particular industry and having a fairly decent rappot with some of the more senior figures in the industry, I was rather surprised at how easily I managed to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del. Wiped the slate clean and began afresh, somewhat. And it has been a fairly interesting story of discovery so far. Things I thought I knew well, I don't. Some things I thought were done one way are actually not done 'that way' and some concepts are wrong. I'm rather surprised at how things have gone, and they aren't even finished as yet. Until they do get over I shall lapse back into blog hibernation mode. Maybe the snakeman can regale us with tales of who is going to be suing him for electronic stalking - by the way Snakey - I'm still iffy about your channel. CNN-IBN is nice, even decent perhaps, but it misses that certain something. So Undie TV it still is.
On another note, read this post of mine I made several months ago on the maths of low-cost flying. Not all the numbers may hold true just now, but it will give you an indication on how tight margins are in the low-cost business. Therefore thrteatening to bash employees up will get you nowhere. And I wonder why Captain Gopinath has switched his mobile phone off? However, no matter what, the airlines have no excuse for not training their pilots for Category III-B landings, which allow landings at visibility levels as low as 250m. The situation could have been much better if our grossly over-paid pilots knew how to at least take advantage of technology. By the way, if you're wondering why Delhi doesn't have a Category III-C landing system as yet (zero-visibility landings), blame the Indian Airlines terminal and the proximity of the highway.
This is an interesting PC World article on the top 50 gadgets of all time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol ... ref to the first line, rest assured it is not a problem - if u are willing to admit it is a problem - unique to you ... it is endemic to the entire profession, trust me :)
the trick lies in not allowing it to go to your head ... and believe me, THAT is really, really difficult ....

Anonymous said...

Snakey, e-staking, getting sued? wat is this about? Share thye goss, pleeez!

Anonymous said...

The hyperlink to your post on on 'the maths of low-cost flying' leads to the PC world article.

K said...

As to the Snakeman sued biz - that was based on his last post - just a joke. Imagine someone sued CNN-IBN for imposing Snakeman on the world. Hahaha! Y'know this blog isn't always about gossip. ;-)
Am correcting the link.

Anonymous said...

It seems u r actually pretty tied up. looking forward to more blogs..

Anonymous said...

well, did an interview with peter leuthie of jet airways on behalf of a colleague recently, and he said that 'indian weather conditions are not suitable as yet for training pilots all year round for 3 b'.
;-)
make of it what u will.

Anonymous said...

A very very happy new year!!

Gaurav said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.