Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Back and barely alive...

The problem with taking a self-imposed sabbatical from alcohol is that sometimes when you start drinking again, it can get a bit hairy. So, after being alternately a good boy and then a bad boy, I've decided to take another break from booze. Masybe the fact that my throat feels has this weird after-taste of Pinot-Noir and Baileys, maybe it is a good idea. I think the Sambuca shots from last night are still sloshing in my insides.
Anyway, to respond to the last post.
Far-fetched? Never denied the fact that it wasn't - but from Bennett's perspective it makes complete sense, while some people might laugh it away, the whispers are getting stronger. Maybe because this blog attracts bored types in this world, but also from the type of people to whom the internet remains an enigma.
Will it happen? No clue whatsoever. But, as I said, the possibility exists. After all, the combined entity would have a 95% market-share in North India. Need a good way to reach SEC A/A+ in North India, can't beat this combo.
Will it be allowed to happen? Remember, Madam is an RS MP for the Congress (from Rajasthan). But, I am pretty sure that there will (and there should) be a public outcry. But then again, given that sometimes you realise that there in nothing worthwhile in either paper, should people care if at all. Of course, at least both papers haven't come down to Aaj Tak/India TV standards as yet - a funny world where dwarves get married and people have sex with trees, though disconcertingly Rakhi Sawant is making it out of the supplements and into the main papers (though I must admit, I do have a grudging admiration for the spunk of that woman).
Was I drunk when I wrote the post? No, I usually post from office. I have better things to do when drunk than write on a blog. Or work.
I have been fascinated with new apps on mobile phones of late - particularly Facebook on the mobile. I mean there is a weird feeling writing on someones wall when you're sitting across them. Of course, I'm a complete social misfit, and with this application I complete the process, but heck, who cares? And for god's sake, someone please give the mobile operators more spectrum!
Next post based on a conversation I had with a friend in Bombay on the state of the media.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HT Media made a profit of around Rs 34 cr in the first quarter of this year. Tell me why should they sell out to ToI? If you have a supermarket store in town and there's another one also, both doing roaring business, will you merge your with the other guy. If you do, they has to be reason. What is the reason? There is no threat from foreign media or desi. I can't think of any. Give me a logical reason man, and I will believe you

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add that Bharatia is a nominated RS MP. She does not represent Rajasthan or Congress. Of course, she was nominated by the Congress-led UPA government, just like Lata Mangeshwar was nominated by the NDA government

Anonymous said...

how come you have not added the wedding gossip: Of Sameer Jain;s daughter with Shobhna's son?

Anonymous said...

Trishala and Priyavrat? Unlikely. Simply because it is unlikely Granmother Jain will allow her to marry outside Jain community. Then of course, there is the Calcutta connection...

thalassa_mikra said...

This is great gossip! The Indian elite is so clique-y - of all the people in the whole wide world they could fall for...

So even the TOI Jain family has a Calcutta connection?

Anonymous said...

toi revenue Rs 3500 crore July 2007

Anonymous said...

O, I also heard that the child that will be born to the Tri-Pri couple will get married to Aroon Purie's grandchild and then their child will get married to james Murdoch's grandchild. Then there will be jsut one big media entity.

Anonymous said...

State Of Media post? Where?